2.11.2011

San Gines Chocolateria - Madrid, Spain

Pasadizo de San Ginés, 5
28013 Madrid, Spain
913 656 546

When I was in high school, I remember one of my Spanish textbooks was titled Churros y Chocolate. I always wanted to try real churros and not the Costco or Disneyland variety. Nothing against Costco and Disneyland, but I wanted the real thing. 

This chocolateria is located on Pasadizo de San Gines, in the corner of two alleyways meeting together. Knowing the place is an attraction for tourists, we were glad to see the local Madrileños enjoying a cup of hot chocolate in the evening.


Stepping inside, I felt like I was in a fancy schmancy bar. Everything was so bright and shiny, and the waiters were wearing crisp linen shirts and greeted us with a friendly "hola." We could have enjoyed our hot chocolate with churros at the counter for a discount, but decided to pay a bit extra and sat at the tables.

 

The chocolate was thick, rich, and wasn't overly sweet...almost a bittersweet taste. This was the real deal right here.


The churros came out in thin long strips and were hot and crispy. No soggy churros here. The churro itself was barely if not at all sweetened. The sweet component solely belonged to the pool of chocolate we would soon be bathing the churros in.


The moment I had been waiting for since high school had finally arrived. My heart beat with anticipation. What would it taste like? Would it live up to my lofty expectations???? I am making this a lot more dramatic, but isn't it more interesting this way??


The chocolate and the churro were a perfect marriage made in heaven. Who doesn't like deep fried dough? I sure don't. Who doesn't like chocolate? I sure don't. Here is a close up shot.


My dreams of trying real and authentic churros y chocolate have come to fruition. Yo pienso que churros y chocolate son muy delicioso. Más por favor!!

9 comments:

Ellie said...

YUM!!!!!

TNT Adventures said...

Thanks Ellie!! Yum indeed!

myminimocs said...

excellent photo journey of a yummy yummy treay...i can almost taste it!!!

myminimocs said...

ooops! typo "treay = treat" :)

TNT Adventures said...

myminimocs - Thank you again for the comment. Definitely worth trying out if you are ever in Madrid.

mucea said...

nice blog

Nicole :D said...

DELICIOUS!! I'm fro Chile and here we eat Churros landfills with delicacy, and I love chocolate and I love your blog about what are you doing in Madrid.

Nicole :D said...

Ups!! some words are wrong, I hope you can understand me

TNT Adventures said...

mucea - Thank you for the compliment. It means a lot.

Nicole - I understood everything you said. Great job!! Would love to visit Chile one of these days. My sister studied there in Concepcion. Donde ciudad tu vive?