2.23.2010

Lo - Lo's Chicken and Waffles

2765 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
480.945.1920
www.loloschickenandwaffles.com

In one corner we have Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles and in the other corner we have Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles.... California versus Arizona..... Los Angeles versus Phoenix..... The battle of the chicken and waffles looms...... I wish I could do a side by side comparison. Unfortunately, I haven't eaten Roscoe's for about 5 years now and don't remember too much about it. Sorry to set-up the battle and not have it actually happen.

I feel that ambiance and location influences are things that one's mind takes into account when eating somewhere. For some reason eating at a place with character adds to the meal. Purely due to logistics, we ended up going to Lo-Lo's in Scottsdale instead of the original Phoenix location. Really wanted to go to the Phoenix location because I heard that was the original and had a lot homier feeling than the strip mall Scottsdale location.

 

Lo-Lo's Famous Soul Food Platter - 13
Included in this platter were 3 pieces of chicken Southern fried or smothered in gravy and onions or two pieces of Catfish or Lo-Lo's red fish (cod) w/ 2 sides orders and cornbread. We went with the Southern Fried Chicken with the waffle and mac & cheese as the sides.

The waffle is freshly made upon order. I thought the waffle was good, but not great. It wasn't as fluffy and light as I would like it to be. The waffle we had at Matt's was in my opinion a lot better.


The chicken was nicely breaded and nicely seasoned, but once again, it wasn't anything that I thought was out of the ordinary. Again, it was good, but not great. When the chicken and the waffles were eaten together, though, it helped bump up the flavor a bit with the sweetness of the waffles and the savoriness of the chicken coming together.

The one dish that I really enjoyed was the Mac & Cheese. Extra cheesy and gooey. And the flavor of the cheese was really evident. One of the better mac & cheeses I have tasted in a while.


Overall, we thought that Lo-Lo's was good, but in my opinion, not something I would make a special trip for. Maybe it was because the Scottsdale location didn't have that soulful, backyard feel. Perhaps my expectations of eating chicken and waffles were too high, when in reality it was really just a plate of chicken and a plate of waffles.

No comments: