6.03.2008

Neptune Oyster (Boston, MA)

63 Salem St
Boston, MA 02113 (617) 742-3474
neptuneoyster.com

While walking Boston's Freedom Trail and seeing the historical sites, we stopped by Neptune Oyster, tucked in the streets of the North End.


Here's the many varieties of oysters they had to offer...each having its own descriptionThe shucker at work...Shown here, from the left of the lemon slice: Wellfleet, Island Creek, Ninigret, St. Simon, Kumomoto, and the Fanny Bay...Served with cocktail sauce and mignonette, which is vinegar, white wine and shallots. I enjoyed slurping my oysters with the cocktail sauce instead of the mignonette. The white wine in it was a bit overpowering for me. My favorite to this day is the classic mignonette from Hog Island that has cilantro, shallots and rice vinegar. My favorite was the Ninigert... it had a very nice sweet finish to it. If you look closely at the very top oyster in the picture, you will see that it's really two oysters on two connected shells. I guess they gave me a mutated one, but it still tasted good.

No comments: