1.25.2008

Macarons (Los Angeles, CA)

Boule Patissiere
boulela.com
As I walked towards the counter at Boule, I was unpleasantly greeted by an employee who didn't smile. I tried to breathe through this air of arrogance and quickly scanned the display of macarons. Many of the flavors were gone by the end of the day. I chose the caramel, chocolate and promagrante (cranberry)-rasberry macarons. The fillings were so soft and decadent. It was just oozing in my mouth and was just sweet enough for my taste.

Tony also picked up a sea-salt caramel candy. The iridescent wrapping unveiled a smooth, caramel piece of candy. After one bite, the caramel just melted away in my mouth, followed by pieces of sea salt for a surprise after taste.

We only picked out 3 macarons (as they only had about 5 options), knowing that our next destination was Paulette Macaron's across town. We wanted to compare the two patissieries.

Paulette Macarons
http://www.paulettemacarons.com/
This place bakes only macarons so we wanted to try. We picked out: green tea, white wedding almond, violet, chocolate, caramel, pistachio, coffee, hazelnut. (Some are not pictured here as I was too eager to eat them all). I didn't enjoy the macarons as much because the fillings were a bit too overpowering for me. Tasting Boule macarons might have spoiled my taste at Paulette.

(from top left: white wedding almond, chocolate, caramel, violet, coffee, and hazelnut)

No comments: