8.03.2009

Berthillon - Paris

31 Rue St.-Louis-en-l'Ile
Paris, France
(Closed Mondays and Tuesdays)

Before heading to the Notre Dame, we stopped by Berthillon Ice Cream to see what the fuss was all about. By the water's edge on Ill Saint-Louis, you'll find a happening cafe and a very long line for the famous ice cream. Some say it's the best ice cream in Paris and some even say it's th best in the world. Not sure I would go that far, but the ice cream was pretty good and I could taste the real flavorings. I also like how Berthillon uses natural ingredients and natural flavorings - and no preservatives or artificial sweeteners. (Awesome!) Known for its luxury ice cream, it also comes with its luxury prices. For 3 euros, we got 2 humble scoops. Please see below. Before we got any taste, this was our double scoop of Berthillon ice cream. The fraise des bois (strawberry of the woods) is on top, and somewhere below is the chocolate noir (dark chocolate).
The ice cream itself was not as creamy as I was expecting it to be. I think we got the sorbet instead of the glace. And the chocolate noir was très noir - very dark. I never imagined dark chocolate flavored ice cream could be so dark. Dark chocolate is my favorite, but I think it was a good choice to have the strawberry ice cream to balance this dark, bold flavor.

The ice cream was good, but not memorable. I don't think it's a must-have or that you have to go out of your way to try the ice cream. At least not worth the long wait, the tiny scoops, and the 3 euros.

No comments: